New Entries

  • The Processing House of the Havemeyers & Elder (later Domino) Sugar Refinery is the jewel in the crown of the Havemeyer sugar empire. Reading as a single building from the exterior, the structure is actually three separate buildings that contained the primary functions of sugar refining: the Finishing House, located on the corner of South 3rd Street and Kent Avenue; the Pan House, located on the corner of South 2nd Street and Kent Avenue, and the Filter House, facing onto the East River and running from South 3rd Street to South 2nd Street. 

  • Constructed with 109 to 111 Franklin Street, this handsome pair of richly-decorated tenements is clad in red brick with sandstone trim, terrace cotta trim and iron cornices. The terra cotta details include decorative tiles in the lower spandrel areas and vertical piers between paired windows at 109, and at decorative panels within the round and segmental arches at the fourth floor. The sandstone trim (perhaps an Ohio stone) is a mix of rock-faced lintels and arch spring blocks and flat sills and sill courses. The flat-arch windows feature splayed brick lintels.

  • Constructed with 97 to 101 Franklin Street, this handsome pair of richly-decorated tenements is clad in red brick with sandstone trim, terrace cotta trim and iron cornices. The terra cotta details include decorative tiles in the lower spandrel areas and vertical piers between paired windows at 109, and at decorative panels within the round and segmental arches at the fourth floor. The sandstone trim (perhaps an Ohio stone) is a mix of rock-faced lintels and arch spring blocks and flat sills and sill courses. The flat-arch windows feature splayed brick lintels.

  • Edward J. McGolrick was born in Ireland on May 9, 1857 and received his religious training at the North American College in Rome, from which he was ordained in June of 1882. McGolrick was first assigned to St. Patrick Church on Kent Avenue, where he served from 1882 to 1888. In 1888, McGolrick was assigned to St. Cecilia's Church, where he served until his death on August 22, 1938.

  • Brooklyn's oldest known mosque, and possibly the first mosque established in New York City, is located on Power Street.

  • The northwest corner of Evergreen Avenue and Woodbine Street is believed to be the site of first house constructed in the New Bushwick Lotts, an area granted by Peter Stuyvesant to the residents of the village of Bushwick in 1661. The first house was erected here in about 1700, built by a man named Van Nuyse. The house and three lots (about 70 acres total) were purchased by Leffert Lefferts from William Van Nuyse of New Utrecht in 1724.

Recent Articles

  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…
  • Graham &…
  • Annunciation Church…