Note: This is not a static site - entries are being updated continuously. New entries are listed immediately below, but check on the bottom of the page for recently updated entries.
Constructed in 1891 by furrier Louis Zechiel, this 5-story loft building sits at the junction of South 8th Street and Broadway, which gives the buildings its splayed plan form. The building is three bays wide at the first and second stories (the two western bays are on South 8th Street; the eastern bay is on Broadway) and nine bays wide at the upper three stories. On the upper stories the three windows at the center bay are divided by Ionic pilasters, with square arches at the third and fourth story and round arches at the top story.
Panorama view of Williamsburg Bridge Plaza, created from two ca. 1908 images from the Library of Congress. At the far left in the photo is the cast-iron building at 242 Broadway (Theobald Engelhardt, 1891). Immediately to the left of the bridge is the Williamsburgh Savings Bank building, and the the right of the bridge is the Williamsburgh Trust Company building, under construction.
William Bunker Tubby (1858-1944) was a graduate of Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute in 1875. Tubby worked briefly in the office of Ebenezer Roberts, but by 1883 had established his own practice. Tubby worked extensively for the Pratt family, designing buildings for Pratt Institute and homes, garages and even mausolea for the family. Tubby also designed many private homes in Brooklyn Heights and elsewhere in the borough, as well as a police precinct and four of Brooklyn's Carnegie Libraries.
St. Patrick parish was founded in 1849 as St. Patrick Church Mission to serve Ft. Hamilton area, making it one of the oldest parishes in Brooklyn. The church was the Catholic parish of soldiers stationed at Ft. Hamilton. The first St. Patrick church was dedicated in 1852. The cornerstone for the current chuch was laid on October 11, 1925 and the church was dedicated by Bishop Molloy on December 12, 1926.1
1872 - 1954. Born in Philadelphia and educated at Spring Garden Institute, the Franklin Institute and the Universtiy of Penssylvania. Perrot interned with with George Plowman and Charles C. Haines, after which he spent two years with Catholic church architect E. F. Durang. After leaving Durang's office, he went to work at Hales & Ballinger, architects and engineers. After Hales' retirement, Perrot joined the partnership, which became Ballinger & Perrot. Perrot left the partnership in 1920 to begin his own practice.