New Entries

  • Congregation founded in 1894, and moved to this location in 1902. The church building has been altered, with a new, larger, narthex added and modifications made to the design of steeple and front facade.

  • Constructed in phases between 1898 and 1941, this complex of buildings was used for the manufacture and assembly of ship engines for the Brooklyn Navy Yard. The complex consists of the Boiler Shop (Building 28), the Machine Shop and Erecting Shop (Building 128) and a power house (Building 23).

  • Civil engineer, designer of the Williamsburg Bridge.

  • Designer of the Williamsburg Bridge.

  • Opened in 1903, the construction of the Williamsburg Bridge set off a new wave of development in Williamsburg.

  • Congregation was organized in 1874 and originally located in the former Pacific Street Chapel of the First Presbyterian Church (301 Pacific Street). The congregation disbanded in 2007 and the property transferred to the Metropolitan New York Lutheran Synod, which subsequently sold off the properties. The church itself is now occupied by the Temple of Restoration, while the former rectory has been converted to residential use.

  • The Parish of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary was founded in 1864, an offshoot of Most Holy Trinity Church on Montrose Avenue. The first church building for the predominantly German Annunciation congregation was probably a wooden structure located on the northwest corner of Havemeyer and North Fifth Streets, where the school is now located. Rev. John Hauptmann was the first priest of the parish. The existing church, designed by Francis J. Himpler, was constructed in 1870

  • Now Wilson Street, Hamburg Avenue reflected Bushwick's historical association with German immigrants. Forgotten NY has a brief piece on the history of name changes in Bushwick. The street has gone through a number of name changes, having started as Johnson Avenue, then renamed Hamburg Street, followed by Hamburg Avenue and ultimately, during World War I, Wilson Street (after Woodrow Wilson).

Recent Articles

  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…
  • Graham &…
  • Annunciation Church…