Bushwick Savings Bank

Bushwick Savings Bank

Bushwick Savings Bank was founded in 1868, but appears to have struggled in its early years. Its original incorporators included William Wall, Samuel Meeker, Henry Eckert, and Frederick Kalbfleish.1 In 1873, the bank reopened in some fashion, with Nicholas Wyckoff listed as the first depositor2. Joseph Liebmann was the president of the bank at that time, although the "original incorporators" from 1868 were listed as well. At this time, the bank was located at Broadway and Myrtle Avenue.3

The bank was acquired by Anchor Savings Bank in 1969; Anchor was acquired by Dime Savings Bank of New York in 19954.

The current building was designed by architect R. Thomas Short, with construction commencing in 19225. The building opened on May 27, 19246.

  • 1. "Bushick Savings Bank", Brooklyn Daily Eagle (April 9, 1868), 2.
  • 2. "Bushwick Savings Bank" Brooklyn Daily Eagle (July 2, 1873), 4.
  • 3. "The Bushwick Savings Bank", Brooklyn Daily Eagle (July 14, 1874), 3.
  • 4. "Anchor Savings Bank, FSB", National Information Center (https://www.ffiec.gov/nicpubweb/nicweb/InstitutionHistory.aspx?parID_RS…), accessed November 18, 2016.
  • 5. "Contracts Awarded", Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide (v. 109, no. 9: March 4, 1922), 282.
  • 6. "Bushwick Savings Building Opened", Brooklyn Daily Eagle (May 28, 1924), 22.
Year
1922
Building type
bank
Address

726 Grand Street
11211 NY
United States

Owner name
Bushwick Savings Bank
Owner address
726 Grand Street
Builder
H. Taylor Construction Co.
stories
1
Building Images
Bldg Geofield

Recent Articles

  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…
  • Graham &…
  • Annunciation Church…