St. Francis of Paola

St. Francis of Paola

CHURCHES.

CONSELYEA ST. - F. J. Berlenbach, 260 Graham av, has plans in progress for a church at the northeast [sic?] corner of Conselyea and Humboldt sts for St. Francis of Paola, Rev. Doctor Leonard Russo, pastor, 25 Orient av, owner. Architect will take bids on general contract.1
 
The church referred to above and seen in the Sperr photo is an older structure, replaced by the current church in 1942.2 However, the church seen in the Sperr photo matches the current church configuration. The building to the left of the tower in the Sperr photo still stands, although it has been altered.
 
The parish of St. Francis of Paola was founded in 1918 as an Italian national parish serving east Williamsburg and Greenpoint. Its school, run by the Capuchin Sisters of Ringwood, NJ, opened in 1941 and closed in 1991.
 
The church sits on, or adjacent to, the location of the former Bushwick Reform Church, the oldest church in northern Brooklyn and the center of the original village of Bushwick, which was located here starting in 1660.
 
 
  • 1. Real estate record and builders' guide: v. 109, no. 3: January 21, 1922, page 90.
  • 2. “Bishop to Dedicate Church”, Brooklyn Daily Eagle, 25 April 1942, p. 8.
Year
1922
Address

195 Conselyea Street
11211 NY
United States

Status
Demolished
Building Images

40.715676, -73.943463