For the past year or two, the nondescript garage on North 1st between Berry and Bedford has been under renovation. A few months ago, the work revealed something a bit more descript - the ghosts of an old city health clinic. The clinic was constructed in 1938 on the site of what was the village of Williamsburgh's first public school, and sold at auction in 1988 for $33,000.
UPDATE: The Municipal Archives photo collection has a few images of this building in better days.
Editor's note: This article was originally written for Brooklyn 11211. Other than some light editing and formatting, it reprinted here in its original form.