Attributed to William H. Gaylor, cast-iron front manufactured by George R. Jackson & Sons' foundry. This building was the first home for Smith, Gray & Co. and is now a designated NYC landmark.
Constructed in 1891 by furrier Louis Zechiel, this 5-story loft building sits at the junction of South 8th Street and Broadway, which gives the buildings its splayed plan form. The building is three bays wide at the first and second stories (the two western bays are on South 8th Street; the eastern bay is on Broadway) and nine bays wide at the upper three stories. On the upper stories the three windows at the center bay are divided by Ionic pilasters, with square arches at the third and fourth story and round arches at the top story.
Connected to 705 Driggs (1888, W. H. Gaylor, architect).
[Plan #] 424 - Driggs st, e s, 80 s Grand st, one four-story iron and brick store, 40 and 46.4 x 45, tin roof, iron cornice; cost, $21,000; E. B. Tuttle, 494 Bedford av; ar't W. H. Gaylor. 1
Smith Gray Building
Site of the Gretsch Building.