Constructed in 1851 for St. Peter's Episcopal Church. The cornerstone for the church was laid in 1850 and the building opened for services in May, 1851. By 1856, St. Peter's had outgrown the building and began construction of a new church on State Street, near Bond. Between 1857 and 1863 the building was occupied by the First Reform Presbyterian Church followed by the Church of the Convenanters. In 1864, the Second United Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn acquired the building. Second United occupied the building until 1938, when the congregation was dissolved.1 Again, the building passed through a couple of congregations before, in 1957, it was purchased by St. Cyril of Turau Belarussian Autocephalic Orthodox Church. St. Cyril continues to worship at the building.
- 1. The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, “2d Presbyterian Church Dissolved,” May 3, 1939.
401 Atlantic Avenue