Note: This is not a static site - entries are being updated continuously. New entries are listed immediately below, but check on the bottom of the page for recently updated entries.


 

New Entries

  • Full listing is here. For quick reference, some changed street names are noted below.

  • Hall associated with Ss. Peter & Paul Parish. The building was contracted as a gift of Mrs. Jeremiah Walsh and named in honor of her brother. References: "Father Malone's Reward", New York Times, August 16, 1897. "The McCadden [sic] Memorial", Brooklyn Daily Eagle, May 6, 1897, 16. "McCaddin Hall Opening", Brooklyn Daily Eagle, November 13, 1898, 30.

  • Located on the southwest corner of Bedford Avenue and South Third Street, also known as Bedford Avenue Pentecostal Church.

  • The congregation was organized in 1887.1

    • 1. "Services of Dedication: New Synagogue and New Church Opened to Worshipers". Brooklyn Daily Eagle, September 20, 1897, 7.

  • Cornerstone laid 3 October 1937 1. The parish's first church was dedicated in 1942, was originally church of St. Francis de Sales. Fr. Fusco bought the church, had it transported and had it put on a concrete foundation. The original altar, confessionals and altar went to other parishes (St. Teresa of Avila, Brooklyn, Our Lady of Mercy, St. Monica's and St. Andrew, Manhattan).

  • Catholic services were first held in Southold in 1863. Prior to that, the nearest Catholic parish was St. Andrew's in Sag Harbor. The first church was a converted school on what is now Route 25. Originally there was to be a school on the property as well. The cornerstone of the present St. Patrick’s Church was laid on Columbus Day in 1926 and the first mass celebrated on July 1, 1927. 1

Recent Articles

  • Mae West Didn'…
  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…
  • Graham &…