Note: This is not a static site - entries are being updated continuously. New entries are listed immediately below, but check on the bottom of the page for recently updated entries.


 

New Entries

  • Ross Street Presbyterian Church was founded in 1864 by members of the South Third Street Presbyterian Church. Early supporters included Sylvester M. Beard, Eli Beard and Halsey Fitch.

  • The most distinctive feature of Teddy’s Bar at 96 Berry Street is the projecting wood and sheet-copper corner storefront with a beautiful decorative-glass transom reading “Peter Doelger’s Extra Beer”. Portions of the storefront were rebuilt after a car crashed into it about 10 years ago, but most of it – and all of the decorative glass - dates to at least 1907. That stained-glass transom is the source of much of the mythology that surrounds 96 Berry, tying it to a 19th-century beer baron and a 20th-century Hollywood icon.

  • Constructed in 1885 and designed by architect A. Herbert, this neo-Grec tenement has housed a bar (today Teddy's Bar) on its ground floor for over a century.

  • Real Estate Record documents 2 buildings (979 and 981 Lorimer). The building at 983 Lorimer Street appears to be part of the same development.

  • Source: Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide (vol 14, no. 349, November 21, 1874), 348.

  • Source: Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide (vol 14, no. 349, November 21, 1874), 348.

  • Berlenbach is listed as the builder, not the architect. No architect is listed.

Recent Articles

  • Mae West Didn'…
  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…
  • Graham &…