Note: This is not a static site - entries are being updated continuously. New entries are listed immediately below, but check on the bottom of the page for recently updated entries.
Hugh Roberts was a local mason who developed these three buildings at the corner of Noble Street and Lorimer Street, as well as the buildings to the south on Lorimer and east on Noble. Architect in the Real Estate Record is listed as "E. J. E. and G. J. Roberts", perhaps a relation to Hugh Roberts; the Greenpoint Historic District designation report lists the architect as E. S. Evans. Evans is listed as the architect for other Roberts projects in the designation report. The Robertses cited in the Real Estate Record may be the builders.
Source: Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide (vol. 14, no. 347, November 7, 1874), 322.
Formerly 49 Newell Street, now 41.
Source: Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide (vol. 14, no 346, October 31, 1874), 304
Havemeyers & Elder first built a two-story warehouse on this site in 1874. In May of 1887, the building suffered a catastrophic fire. According to the Brooklyn Eagle, the building was used as a depot by the Erie Railroad, managed by L. M. Palmer, and owned and operated by Havemeyers & Elder. Soon after, Havemeyers & Elder rebuilt the building as a three-story warehouse.
Historical address is 184 Keep Street. No architect listed, but William T. Lamb is assumed.
Source: Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide (vol. 14, no 337, August 29, 1874), 146.