The original Church of St. Rose of Lima was constructed 1870. The wood-frame Gothic-style church was designed by Thomas F. Houghton. The church, with a capacity of 300, was the first Catholic church to serve the people of the Greenfield section of southern Brooklyn.
Constructed in 1891 by furrier Louis Zechiel, this 5-story loft building sits at the junction of South 8th Street and Broadway, which gives the buildings its splayed plan form. The building is three bays wide at the first and second stories (the two western bays are on South 8th Street; the eastern bay is on Broadway) and nine bays wide at the upper three stories. On the upper stories the three windows at the center bay are divided by Ionic pilasters, with square arches at the third and fourth story and round arches at the top story.
In the late 19th century, Theobald Engelhardt was North Brooklyn’s most prolific architect.
William Bunker Tubby (1858-1944) was a graduate of Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute in 1875. Tubby worked briefly in the office of Ebenezer Roberts, but by 1883 had established his own practice. Tubby worked extensively for the Pratt family, designing buildings for Pratt Institute and homes, garages and even mausolea for the family. Tubby also designed many private homes in Brooklyn Heights and elsewhere in the borough, as well as a police precinct and four of Brooklyn's Carnegie Libraries.